Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Story and Pics

Alright,so here is the story on the birth of our baby girl!! So monday night we were watching a tv show and i could feel my stomach tightening, but didnt have any pain. I was always wondering if they were just braxton hicks contractions. I figured these ones def. were because i didn't have any pain. I went to bed totally fine, and woke up with some lower pains and i could feel how tight my stomach was getting.This was about 1 am, mind you, i only fell asleep at 11:30am. they weren't too bad and so i figured they were the braxton hicks finally kicking in with some pain. They kept happening but didn't think anything of it. Finally I got out of bed to go to the bathroom and it hurt again but i figured i was constipated or something (sorry if tmi!). I layed back down and i was still hurting and was wondering if i should time them incase they were the real thing. I didnt want to get it into my head that they were. I realized they were only few minutes apart so i fgured they had to be braxton ones. I got up a few times just to walk around and at this time it was around 2:15ish and i went back into bed... i felt something pop inside me and i thought to myself 'that couldnt have been my water, could it??'. I went back to walk around/go to the bathroom and felt a little leak. I woke tom up and said, either my water just broke or i peed my pants, he told me to go back to bed... men! just joking! haha. So i changed pants, went to look up online how fast i would need to go to the hospital and as i was walking back GUSH.. i def. new my water broke!

We got to the hospital at 3:50- with absolutely nothing, minus my purse - they put me in a room to check to make sure it was my water, and it was and they checked to see if i was dialated at all. (i have never been checked so i had no clue) - and i was already to a 5! i was shocked... tom thought we would be going back home. The nurse said 'you ready for your epidural?' and so i got one within the same hour i got to the hospital. I kept dialating about a cm an hour and so by 9:15 (after i was treated for strep b. lame.) the doctor checked and i was at a 9 and she said she would be back in about 20ish minutes and we could probably start pushing. I was NOT expecting it to go this fast! I think tom was more nervous than i was, he was biting his nails and getting jitters. I pushed for about an hour and 20 minutes and out came baby Dulany. She weighed in at 6 lbs 11 oz - 18 1/2 inches long at 11:40 am. Lets just say she def. has my nose and tom's chin (i think its a roberts chin). Her umbilical cord was HUUUUUGGGE (fat that is).. probably from all my sugar!(you can see it in one of the pictures ofh er getting cleaned off) Everything looks healthy considering she was 3 weeks 1 day early. We have a doctors appointment tomorrow with the pediatrician and with the lactation consultant. I did have an awesome recovery since i didn't have to get stitches or anything, i got lucky there too!

I was incredibly tired and couldnt sleep much in the hospital with having to get up every few hours to feed/change her. Within a 48 hour period i think i slept a good 5 hours total? I was exhausted when we got home and luckily my sister Jody was able to drive up from SLC where she was for a few days this week. She was a ton of help the first night when Dulany didn't want to sleep. She doesnt like her crib (although as I type this she has been sleeping in it for i think a whole 5 minutes!) and loves to be held. Nursing was a little difficult at first but its slowly getting better, although still painful! Jody left tonight and tom's mom is coming up here on monday morning so we have a few days with ehr just to ourselves. I just hope we can handle it!

I also need to be a better mom and take more pictures! Ps. Tom is the cutest when he is with his little girl. You can tell he's gonna be a daddys girl. It just makes me laugh because on sunday and monday he was like 'can you just push her out already!?' and asking if i was having any contractions. Well he got his wish! Ill try to post more and maybe take some videos of her for family/friends to see.


Michelle Gould said...

So exciting! I am so happy for you! I cant wait to be a mommy!

The Sabatini Family said...

Welcome to motherhood!! It sounds like you had a great experience... so time for more!! :) And, yes. We definitely need MORE PICTURES!!! I'm dying Jess. Please, please, please take more!!!! Now I know what it feels like to be on the other end of the "blog." I will be bugging you often. She is just too cute. I CANNOT wait to see her. Take care. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Anonymous said...

why dont you come to or to recover tom needs a rest also (Not)we'll be glad to babysit grandpa needs a little sugar from dulany

Jennilynn said...

Congratulations!! You have an adorable little girl and you look great! I hope you and your new little family are doing great!

Joey and Michelle said...

YAYAYA! i am so excited for you! Isn't it nice when they come early? i'm so glad everything went so well for you :) Good luck the next few weeks and try to sleep whenever she does. She is beautiful :) keep us updated!!